Friday, September 5, 2008

Bay Area Women's Professional Soccer Team!

Women's Professional Soccer (WPS), the brand new professional women's soccer league in the US, announced this week that they'll be adding a team in the Bay Area! No idea what the team will be called, where it will play, who will be on it...but they have investors and a coach. That's a step in the right direction. I'm guessing they'll be based somewhere in the South Bay, since the San Jose Mercury News jumped on this report.

I'm excited that I'll have a local team to check out. I've been so curious about how this new league is progressing. I sincerely hope that the league survives this time around--but they're going to need one helluva fan base to support them. Investors are great, but they can't sustain the league indefinitely. I want to go to one of these games and see how many other people show up. How much are the tickets? How much are the hotdogs? Is it only soccer moms and girl scouts in the stands, or is there finally a broader appeal?

You should all buy a ticket and come with me to the game. It's the least we can do.

No comments: